We decided to make our own version but instead of matcha (green tea) we decided to use chrysanthemum tea.
Chrysanthemum tea is a flower-based tea made from chrysanthemum flowers. It has a floral aroma and the version our family commonly drinks also has a sweet honey taste to it. I have pictured the tin we use below. We get it at our local Asian groceries.
You can look up the many claimed medicinal qualities of this tea – we drink it because we like the taste 🙂
Here’s what you need (for our version):
- 4 tbsp wholemeal plain flour
- 4 tbsp Low GI sugar
- 1 tsp chrysanthemum powdered tea
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 5 tbsp skim milk
- 1 egg
Here’s what you do:
- Mix it all together in the mug
- Cook in microwave for 2 minutes (depends on microwave)
- Stick a skewer into it to make sure it comes out clean
- Drizzle a little honey on top
It’s quick – its easy – it’s delicious!
Do you have a favourite mug cake that you make? I’d love to hear about it – my next one will be a green tea version – then maybe a red velvet – or peanut butter…hmmm now I’m hungry 🙂
- 6 Edible Flower Recipe Ideas (theflyingfugu.com)
- Recipe: Chocolate-Peanut Butter Mug Cake! (planetmarsz.wordpress.com)
- Chocolate Cake In A Coffee Cup (geekalabama.com)