Asia, Australia, Australia Day, buko pandan, coconut, Condensed milk, cream, dessert, Filipino people, Mango, mango pandan
Today is Australia Day here in the land of the green and gold Oz.
To celebrate we decided to do an Aussie twist to the Filipino dessert Buko Pandan. Buko Pandan is a creamy dessert with fresh coconut, condensed milk and flavoured with Pandan. What is pandan? I guess you could say it’s Asia’s version of vanilla.
Our Aussified version of this Filipino dessert classic is the Mango Pandan – basically we substitute the fresh coconut with juicy sweet Australian mangoes! Aussie Aussie Aussie oi oi oi!!!
– 1 x can Asian green jelly grated (see picture below)
– 1 x tub Philadelphia dessert cream (alternatively some thickened cream will do the same thing)
– 1 x tablespoon condensed milk
– 1 x teaspoon Pandan (see picture below)
– 2 x large mangoes diced
– Gently mix jelly, cream and mangoes together
– Add condensed milk
– Add pandan
– Gently combine to distribute the green colour of the pandan
– Adjust amount of condensed milk and pandan to your taste
Be warned this is a very sweet dessert to be had in small doses. But geez it’s a delicious ‘sometimes’ food 🙂
Enjoy! Happy Australia Day!
- Buko pandan (countybakermom.wordpress.com)
- A Very Filipino Christmas (littlegirlbigmeals.wordpress.com)